((The lack of notes is concerning.))
We’ve even got our own flag :3
I am not sure if this was the one I already re-blogged for essentially the same reason, but I don’t want to miss an opportunity.
The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
I got into an argument today after school between some people who were completely for transgender folk and support homosexuality to a full extent, but were completely throwing aside gender fluid people, and claiming they cannot exist.
I want to prove them wrong.
I’m Nick, an aspiring freelance artist and aneurotypical trans guy trying to get his T letter without insurance or regular income (a poor, starving artist living commission-to-commission stereotype incarnate). I am losing my mind not being able to transition. My family can’t afford to help me pay for treatment either, so I don’t know where else to turn other than to the kindness of strangers.
I’m hoping to raise about $850 to cover gender assessment fees and T-related medical bills. Every dollar helps!
And for YOU GUYS— for every donation over $5, I will send you a random thank-you sketch! For donations $20 and up, send me a message along with your paypal donation with the name of your favourite character and I will send you a drawing of them comparable to the donated amount!! Donations over $100, I will draw a 3-page comic about anything you choose and worship you as a god.
PLEASE HELP NICK HE’S MY BESTIE AND HE REALLY NEEDS THIS!!!
Sounds like he needs a job. Look at the girl from the princess and the frog. She held like 8 jobs and saved all her money to buy her own damn restaurant. Stop being lazy and go get a job at mcdonalds. Bitch you could have $850 in one month. Fuck this shit.
Jesus christ, now I have to chip in a fiver just for making you take a break from sucking your own butthole long enough to type that.
Indigenous Canadian Women Are Suffering a Murder Epidemic
Last week’s discovery of the body of Loretta Saunders, an Inuit student who disappeared while working on a thesis about missing and murdered Native Canadian women, sparked calls across the country for action. NGOs say violence against Aboriginal women and girls is reaching epidemic levels — and around half of the murder cases remain unsolved.
On February 13, NWAC delivered a petition to the House of Commons, signed by over 23,000 Canadians in support of the call for a national inquiry.
Next time you want to say “Canada’s such a nice place! Nothing bad happens in Canada!” please give a thought to this.
Everyone who reblogs this
EVERY SINGLE ONE
Will get a shitty 1 sentence fanfic in their inbox determined by your recent reblogs
So if you reblogged Kevin Tran and a dalek recently
YOU GET KEVIN/DALEK ROMCOM FANFIC
If you just posted some Sherlock and Hannibal
THEY HAVE A DANCE OFF MOTHAFUCKAS
Shitty fanfics, at your door, no questions asked.
When I say shitty fanfics
I mean shitty fanfics motherfuckers
The image above was created from gathering all of the significant named characters from released Marvel Studios movies as documented on the Marvel Movies wikia.
It’s pretty sad. As you can see, only 22% of the characters are women and half of them are love interests. There are over twice as many supporting characters who are men than women (and none of them function as love interests like the women do.) 84% of the characters are white.
- 60% of the characters are white men, including all the main characters
- 77%of the characters are men
- 76% of the men are white
- 81% of the characters (both genders) are white
- All of the women are white
- Allof the characters of color are men
- None of the characters are women of color
Out of all the films, Thor probably does the best in introducing diverse side characters. Natalie Portman and Kat Denning’s characters pass the Bechdel test within the first five minutes, and some of the Asgardians are played by people of color including Idris Elba’s Heimdall and Tabano Asano’s Hogun. Four white women characters are introduced instead of the other films’ average of one or two. But even then, there’s no question that the main characters of the film are Thor and his brother Loki.
Marvel is working off of decades of existing properties that for years solely focused on white men and a the demographic market of white men. So it makes sense that many of the films would have an abundance of white male characters. Beyond ratios, what doesn’t make sense is that even in the comics there is also an abundance of characters of color, etc. that they are ignoring or underutilizing. There are already five completed films where the titular character is a white man, with more to come. There are no films in the works where the titular character is a person of color or a woman.
Women made up at least 40% of the audience of The Avengers, yet only one out of the six Avengers–Black Widow–was a woman. Women also made up 40% of attendees at this year’s ComicCon. Why, given the scarcity of female heroic leads in the existing Marvel films, did Marvel choose to announce the addition of several more male characters but only one new female character?
Read the full article at Racebending.com: On Marvel, Mandarin, and Marginalization
And IIRC, no Queer characters. #FWIW #RepresntationMatters
Exhibit A in why I eyeroll at that asinine “Marvel is making a Rocket Raccoon movie before DC makes a Wonder Woman movie” nonsense.
Add links in the replies if you know of any.
Feel free to shamelessly self-promote.
I’ll start: Shimmer (trans teen superhero, tw: depictions of transphobia/transmisogy)
What else is out there, tumblr? I want to see it, I want to share it.
Wild tiger numbers are at an all-time low. We have lost 97% of wild tigers in just over a century. Tigers may be one of the most revered animals, but they are also vulnerable to extinction. As few as 3,200 exist in the wild today.
The largest of all big cats, tigers rely primarily on sight and sound rather than smell. They typically hunt alone and stalk prey. A tiger can consume up to 88 pounds of meat at one time. On average, tigers give birth to 2-3 cubs every 2-2.5 years. If all the cubs in one litter die, a second litter may be produced within 5 months.
Tigers generally gain independence at two years of age and attain sexual maturity at 3-4 years for females and at 4-5 years for males. Juvenile mortality is high however—about half of all cubs do not survive more than two years. Tigers have been known to reach the age of 26 years in the wild.
Across their range, tigers face unrelenting pressure from poaching, retaliatory killings and habitat loss. They are forced to compete for space with dense and often growing human populations.
For the month of March, giraffeinatree will be doing something about it. The tiger (Panthera tigris) is this month’s Animal of the Month. Learn more about this project by clicking here. In the mean time, you can help by donating via Paypal, causevox, fundly, or fundraiser where I have started fundraising campaigns for tiger conservation. If you are otherwise unable to give monetary support at the moment and you would still like to help the cause, you can click the ad at http://giraffeinatree.com/ or share the aforementioned links along with this post to any social media site (also free). Sharing can do as much—if not more—for the cause as donating, so I encourage you to please go ahead and tell all your friends about it!
All proceeds will go to the Save the Tiger Fund-Panthera partnership conservation program. Learn more about them and what they do with the money the receive here.